Sugar Ants Extermination and Control
Portland Or, Vancouver Wa
Sugar Ants are small (about 1/8 of an inch) dark brown, almost black ants. Sugar ants are known by a multitude of names (picnic ants, small ants, food ants, sugar ants, kitchen ants) but their scientific name is the Odorous House Ant. They are in the group called Soil Ants, and they are the largest single known ant population in the U.S.
Facts about Sugar Ants
- Typically found in wooded areas or urban settings in the soil. Upon the encounter of a home they are capable of rapidly setting up a colony in the walls or other locations that give easy access to food sources (i.e. your kitchen and bathroom)
- Contrary to popular belief, the Sugar Ant is an omnivore! This is often why they are found in other areas besides the sugar bowl or a jar of honey.
- Sugar Ants nests can range from 3 to 5 thousand individuals, and in these nests they have multiple queens which makes them a formidable opponent.
- They are not a wood destroying pest, but they can compromise food sources and even bite (yes, bite!!)
- Typically these ants will make more of an appearance in the beginning of early spring.
- They are usually found nesting around hot water heaters or hot water pipes (they like to stay warm).
What’s with the smell?
If you’ve ever had an encounter with squishing a Sugar Ant (Odorous House Ant), then I don’t need to tell you about the smell. It’s been compared to the smell of blue cheese. This odor is the ant’s primary way of defense, along with running around erratically. While it may not be intimidating to us, to predators their size, their behavior is very effective.
When to treat for Sugar Ants
The sooner your home is treated, the better. These ants become a pain to live with; here at Bloom we utilize biological controls and multiple treatment approaches to fix to all your Sugar Ant problems. Home remedies will work for a short period of time, but if you’re looking for the final fix to be done with ants for good, call or click today to schedule your free inspection with one of our qualified technicians. Bloom Pest Control prides themselves on being eco friendly and pet friendly. As soon as an infestation is apparent, is when the treatment should be started.
Curious about what other ants we have here in the NW?
Click here to go to our Ant-cyclopedia page!
Call today for your free quote!